Growing That Thick Skin

Thursday, September 11, 2014

inspired by Bri Lamkin
Here's a bit of the truth. I'm shy, nervous, and not so confident when it comes to showing off my creative ability. One of my biggest fears is having people judge me. That's apart of the reason why I never started selling those cell phone cases, or why I never post pictures of my artwork. I keep those things locked up for my eyes only. Sometimes I even stop myself from posting pictures on instagram because I'm too afraid of the negative judgement. I have never had someone flat out tell me that they don't like what I do or hate my pictures, but I'm always just afraid of them thinking that.
But since I'm taking a crap ton of art classes this semester I am beginning to learn something; everyone pretty much has those thoughts. Even people who are amazing at what they do. I'm meeting artists left and right on a daily basis and I can sense the nervousness in them as well. I'm guessing that its normal to feel this way and in order for me to get over this little problem that I have, I need to show off my stuff. I need to grow a thick skin and try to handle the criticism with ease. 
So this is me, telling myself, that I need to ignore those little negative thoughts that pop up and just stay confident. Because yes, #hatersgonnahate, but if I love the outcome of what I created then that's all that should really matter. 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. In my experience, we're all a lot harder on ourselves than people actually are on us. :) In a weird way, that insecurity stems from thinking that people are actively thinking about and judging you, when in reality, they're probably thinking about and judging themselves. Granted, there are always trolls and people who just don't "feel" what you've put out into the world. They aren't important.

    I got a lot of hits once from posting my blog on a comment in Jezebel. 99% of the comments on my blog post were negative, and mostly related to how "stupid" and "girly" my blog was. Dude, you don't like my girly-ass blog? Get the fuck off, then. It's clearly not for you. If someone doesn't like your work, it's not for them. Plain & simple. Don't let negative comments stop you from doing you! <3

    xo Madie
    girlnamedfiddy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you said was so true! If we judge ourselves then i'm pretty sure other people do it to themselves as well. I had never thought of that before.

      I do remember you posting something about that a while back, you took it with such ease! I was so impressed at how you just let the hating comments slide off. You're amazing for that :)
      Madie you are just so cool. For real - for real girl.
      xoxo

      Delete